Title: Operator Helper/Trainee
Company: Marathon Martinez Refinery
Location: Martinez, CA.
The Marathon Martinez Refinery is seeking highly motivated Operator Helper/Trainees to join our team. Operators work together to monitor, regulate, troubleshoot and safely operate complex process equipment.
Operators work in a safety-sensitive environment and must successfully complete a rigorous pre-employment assessment process, drug/alcohol and medical screenings, and a background check. To ensure safe operations, new hires must also successfully complete operator qualification training and participate in random drug and alcohol screenings.
Operators are responsible for running process units safely, in compliance, reliably and efficiently during each shift. All operations are carefully controlled to meet and maintain operating targets established in a daily operating plan. Continuous regulatory compliance is maintained by properly monitoring and controlling critical operations. Other primary responsibilities include:
- Completes unit equipment inspection rounds several times each shift to ensure it is operating safely reliably, and efficiently. Completes specific equipment checks as required and take scheduled samples. Also investigates and corrects unusual conditions such as noise, odors, leaks, hot or vibrating equipment, etc.
- Identifies maintenance work and submits electronic requests. Helps prioritize maintenance. Routinely performs minor maintenance as scheduled or needed, and maintains good housekeeping.
- Plans, prepares, and facilitates the safe turnover of equipment for maintenance. Prepares work packages and work permits ahead of scheduled maintenance. Completes job walks with mechanical crews to ensure task alignment and safety. Additionally, reviews all completed maintenance jobs to ensure the work is complete and the job site clean, prior to signing off work orders.
- Adjusts unit operations as required to meet operating targets and stable/efficient operations. Directly coordinates operations with upstream and downstream units, while keeping shift supervision updated on all significant variances from operating plans or targets. Changes, upsets, problems (actual or potential) are also communicated to all potentially affected units and shift supervision.
- Routinely troubleshoots and handles upsets or off-target variances. Requests additional assistance from shift supervision when unable to handle the upset within the crew’s capability.
- Routinely trains on the off-shifts for compliance, qualification, emergency, and enhancement training. Helps develop and maintain operating procedures.
- Maintains thorough, concise and complete unit logs of all significant operation changes, priority status, and problems. This information is thoroughly reviewed with relieving operator at shift change to ensure the new shift fully understands the status of the units.
- Responds immediately to all unit emergencies. Ensures safety of all personnel in the area, isolates and mitigates high-risk areas and immediately activates unit emergency equipment.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High School graduate or GED equivalent, required
- Previous experience as an operator or maintenance mechanic in a refinery, chemical process plant or power plant preferred but not required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be medically cleared and physically able to work in all areas of the refinery and perform all job requirements outlined utilizing required safety gear.
- Must obtain and maintain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) for ongoing unescorted access into Refinery from perimeter gates.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be comfortable working in confined spaces and high elevations.
- Must be able to perform work in a team environment, demonstrating honesty and integrity.
- Must be organized and possess ability to keep accurate legible documentation
- Requires safe work practices to ensure safety is a fundamental part of every task. Follow all safety procedures and maintain good housekeeping practices.
- Requires ability to respond to refinery needs outside of normally scheduled work hours and take ownership of all work performed.
- Incumbent will be required to work rotating shifts, days, evenings and/or nights. Will also be required to work overtime.
- Requires demonstrated mechanical and troubleshooting abilities
- Must possess good oral, and written communication, and ability to make sound decisions.
- Must be able to work in adverse conditions, (high heat, high noise, confined space, lifting 40 plus pounds, climbing ladders and stairs, working in high places, etc.)
- Must participate on refinery Emergency Response Team, which includes training on proper response to injuries, releases, fires, and other emergencies
Starting rate is $38.05 per hour.
APPLY ONLINE (below).
No phone calls or agencies, please.
Applicant progress updates will be communicated automatically from the application system. If you encounter a problem that prevents you from applying, please email email@example.com
About Marathon’s Martinez Refinery: Our Martinez Refinery is located in Martinez, Calif., on 2,200 acres and has a crude oil capacity of 166,000 barrels per day (bpd). Using crude oils from California and other domestic and foreign sources, the refinery produces motor fuels, including cleaner-burning California Air Resources Board (CARB) gasoline and CARB diesel fuel, as well as conventional gasoline and diesel fuel.